Friday, March 16, 2018

Andrew and Kate 2 1/2

In some ways I can't believe I am writing about my 2 1/2 year old twins but in other ways that are seen multiple times each day at this house it is very obvious that we are in full fledged 2 year old mode around here.  These kids are changing quicker than I can keep up with. Stubborn, opinionated, emotional, hilarious, trying, exhausting, consuming, and fun! Well... sometimes fun, lol.  This age is HARD, in my opinion quite possibly one of the hardest stages we have had yet.  As I told another twin mom today "I would have thought it would be just twice as hard as having one this age but it is actually much harder." Times when everyone is happy are few and far between but we will keep pressing on knowing that this is just a season. In the meantime gifts of coffee, wine, and babysitters are appreciated. :) 

Let's start with Miss Kate.  This girl is a riot!  She is incredibly sweet and cuddly.  "I need a hug. I need a kiss."  We hear that phrase over and over again each day.  She is my snuggler.  Her vocabulary has exploded.  She loves to sing and knows so many songs.  She is incredibly opinionated.  Every one has told me girls are different than boys and all I can tell you is that out of my four children she is the only one who insists on picking out the perfect pair of underwear each day and who knew a two year old could be so indecisive about that??? She is so so stubborn.  If she doesn't want to do something she sets her jaw and arches her back and will do just about anything not to comply with you.  She is an instigator.  She loves to stir the pot, especially with Andrew and Harrison.  She has a soft spot in her heart for James.  He often is her comforter.  All three boys rush to her aid though.  Recently she was crying about something and Andrew went and brought her every lovey, doll, blanket, etc. that she sleeps with which was so sweet.  Each time she took it and threw it across the room :)  Kate also has a tender side towards her brothers.  When Andrew gets upset she often comes over and rubs or pats him on the back.  Seeing them both comfort each other is so special!  Neither Andrew nor Kate will go to bed until they get hugs and kisses from both James and Harrison.  And it has to be an hug AND a kiss.  Her favorite color is pink, her favorite shoes are her "gold shoes", favorite foods are anything sweet or carb heavy.  She is the princess of the family and she completely knows it! We love her so much! 

This is her "I refuse to give you a smile face" 

"I need my chair. I need my coat. I need my hat on." 

This girl will sit in time out forever before she is willing to bend. 

"I'm all ready Mama. Take my picture!" 

She loves to dress up. 

She has this brother completely wrapped around her finger. 

"I feel sad."  How are we already dealing with emotions so soon???

These two.  Similar profiles. Similar personalities. 

Another day another tantrum.  In fairness I often have to wake A and K from naps so they are not the happiest when we leave to get James.  It is hard being the youngest and always having to be on everyone else's schedule. 

Apparently there was a lot of drama on this day!

A Popsicle and sunshine always makes life a little better. And rain boots just in case it rains. 
Now for Mr. Andrew!  This sweet boy is all highs and lows, not much in between.  He is so incredibly happy and joyful but when things fall apart they collapse. He is also talking so much more! He loves music and singing and reading books.  He loves to dance and hates to have his hands dirty.  He has followed in his brothers' footsteps in that he loves balls, big trucks, and things that go.  He continues to be by far our biggest daredevil. Every night when Ryan "jumps" him onto our bed after bath time (and gives me a heart attack in the process) Andrew always says "I want a BIG jump."  Kate on the other hand says "I need a little one."  She is definitely the timid one. He is a little monkey, our climber. He fits in well with the big boys and loves to be a part of whatever they are doing.  Lately he has wanted to shorten my name from Mommy to mom and of all the kids he probably calls for me the most. He is very attached to his mama!  He most repeated phrases each day are "Mom! Mom! I need hold you. Hold you Mama!!!!"  (all four kids have done this "hold you" vs "hold me" at this age for some reason)  He is super silly. I may not have as many pictures to prove it but he can also go into major meltdown mode these days.  He is easily overwhelmed in new situations and can be harder to reason with than Kate.  He loves his sister but I often hear "No no Kate Kate!" throughout the day. 

This kid better keep those feet in his crib!


While trying to dress him he ran away laughing straight to the guitar to play some tunes 



I did the unthinkable and french braided his hair one day 

Once again competing for a spot on mama's lap 

Happy boy before he takes his nap 

Over the past month or two we have discovered the joy of Moana.  Andrew and Kate love it (especially the first 30 mins which is basically all we ever watch).  They have enjoyed it so much I told Ryan I feel like I need to call the people who made that movie to tell them thank you for making my life slightly easier.  This has also been one of the first movies that all four kids have enjoyed which has led to multiple family movie nights together.  

James and Harrison have made many messes in their lifetime but there is no comparison to what these two do together. I am amazed at how they feed off each other and what they get into.  This playroom was spotless 30 mins before I left them in there to go finish dinner and this is what it looked like when I came back up.  

We have had a hard time with naps lately because they want to talk and laugh and jump in their bed instead of sleeping.  This day they finally fell asleep 10 mins before I had to wake them up so we could get James.  I walked in and both were half naked with their pants/pull ups pulled down, they had thrown everything out of their beds, Andrew had shredded a book and somehow he go the container that was under his bed where I keep extra clothes and thrown them all out. I'm still amazed he figured that last one out. 




Things often go from peaceful and happy 

To complete chaos and misery 


I snapped this picture because it shows a side of Kate- she is purposely putting her feet on Andrew just to make him mad! 
As they have gotten older it has been wonderful to watch their twin bond continue to develop.  I love hearing their conversations.  Many days after I lay them down for naps I stand outside their door laughing at what they are doing and saying to each other. 

Every night we get ready to "rock rock a lil bit" before they go to bed.  We snuggle together in the rocking chair and as Kate said last night "I need love. I need to love Andrew." (code words for hugging tight to me and Andrew)  We sing songs together and say prayers, snuggle and hug and let me tell you- it is pretty special!


No comments:

Post a Comment