Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dallas Disaster

As soon as Ryan found out he didn't have to work Labor Day weekend we decided to take advantage of the long weekend and go somewhere fun.  There aren't many places that are an easy weekend drive from here so we figured we would go back to Dallas. (any of my LA readers have any other road trip suggestions let me know ) We were both SO ready to get away and had planned our trip completely with what we were doing, where we were eating, etc.  We even lined up our babysitter who moved to Texas to come babysit one night for us- a major splurge! Unfortunately things started going downhill before we even left.  Friday morning James woke up acting fine but then threw up 6 times in 90 minutes, 3 times which were all over me.  Down the shirt, in the hair, on our bed, the rug, the couch......it was bad.  I immediately thought that our trip was over but after a couple of good naps he seemed to be doing much better.  By the next morning he hadn't thrown up for 24 hours, we all felt good, and figured we might as well head on to Texas. 
Bath after "episode" number 6

JT just wanted to lay on the floor to play all morning. Something he never does!


Rough day...rough hair

After checking in our hotel and hanging out for a few hours our babysitter arrived.  We hardly ever get a babysitter because its so expensive, but we wanted to take advantage of getting to go out somewhere special. We walked to a seafood restaurant nearby, and I ordered soup and a fabulous looking crab cake.  I took one bite of that thing, and it was over.  It became clear very fast that I now had the stomach virus.  We got our check as quickly as possible and hurried back to our hotel, still having to make several "pit stops" along the way.  I don't know if I can ever eat seafood again!  I felt  horrible not only for being sick but also for wasting so much money on food and a babysitter. :( At least Ryan was feeling good so hopefully he could take of James the next day while I rested.  Yeah right.  Around 1 a.m. it was apparent that Ryan now had the virus as well.  We have known each other a long time but let me tell you, throwing up together is a whole new level of intimacy in your marriage! Lol.  We were both up ALL night and then our sweet alarm clock woke us up before 5 the next morning.  Needless to say the trip didn't quite end up being what we had planned.

Instead of crabcakes we ate cheerios and crackers.
Instead of going to the aquarium we went to the Target pharmacy.
Instead of buying clothes at the Galleria we bought sprite and Gatorade. 
Instead of a romantic night out on the town we got to have a date with the trashcan  
About to go on our date.  Little did we know what was ahead!


Thankfully one of Ryan's co-workers called us in some meds so we were feeling marginally better on Monday.  We decided to grin and bear it and try to do at least a couple of things before heading out.  We stopped by The Container Store (a wonderful place for someone like myself), Buy Buy Baby, and finally split some lettuce wraps at Pei Wei.   By then we had had more than enough and it was definitely time to get home.  The grand finale of the weekend was the final hour.  James decided he was done being in the car and screamed as loud as he could for the remainder of the ride.  Needless to say he is still learning how to "self-soothe".  About five minutes from our house I heard a bad sound, turned around and realized he had gotten so upset that he had thrown up all over his car seat.  Nice.  Our car now permanently smells like vomit, and I really wanted to spend an hour scrubbing a car seat that night.  I brought JT in, calmed him down and within 10 minutes his big 95 percentile head hit my lip and busted it open.  Blood, more mess to clean up.  Is the weekend over?  Thankfully it finally was.  That night Ryan looked at me and said, "I still really had a good time."  I'm not quite ready to say that yet but it was definitely a memorable "vacation." :)

Ryan and I didn't want to eat but James still needed to so we got him room service.  The kid is so spoiled!

JT- feeling good.  Mommy- not so hot
Taking a spin at Buy Buy Baby

Hanging out at the hotel

Lunch at Pei Wei



3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but this is so funny! I know it was miserable for y'all, but you will look back on this one day and laugh. I think everyone has had a weekend where everything went wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness! What a terrible weekend, but I agree with Lindsey, one day you will look back and laugh! Glad you are all feeling better and hopefully you can plan another weekend vacation soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Emily, that really does sound like a disaster!! I think you handled it waayyy better than I would have! As far as weekend trips go, when Bryant and I lived in Louisiana we went to Dallas, Memphis, and New Orleans for quick getaways.

    ReplyDelete